View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 02:07 AM   #228
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Br3w City's Project omgwtfbbq

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
that looks good for here, even if its a ford color, i didnt know until you said it was!!

about how much epoxy primer, basecoat and clear coat did you have to buy?? i'm looking for a ruff est. on how much i will have to buy this fall for my truck! i'm wanting to paint mine by this next summer hopefully and before it gets real hot here!!
Depending on the paint system of your choice, these reduce to different sprayable amounts, but I used Martin Senour and Finish 1 (Napa stuff) mostly.

Lets see, I'll have to guess because I had to do a few runs for more stuff....
(1) GALLON of un-reduced color for the exterior. 2.5 med wet coats plus a bit more took about 2/3-3/4 of the can, it mixes 2:1 with reducer.
(1) QUART of un-reduced color for the interior/lower door bottoms. I used barely any of it, maybe a 1/4 of the can and half of that got dumped. Also mixed 2:1 with reducer
(1) QUART Wax and grease remover, have about a half can left.
(1) GALLON Epoxy Primer, Used a bit more than 3/4 of the can, it also gets reduced 20% more for the sealer coat.
(1) PINT Epoxy Hardener To harden the epoxy, duh. Used 95% of it.
(1) GALLON 2k High build Primer
(1) QUART (i think i have to double check this one) reducer or hardener, i forgot.
(6) QUARTS Dupli Color Paint Shop Matte Clear. It is pre-mix, so its ready to spray, you don't have to add reducer or hardener. I could only find it in quarts.
A TON OF REDUCER. I had a couple (we had hot ass days and I wanted to adjust the reducer to compensate). Initially I bought it by the quart not really thinking, but because you use it to clean the guns and you use extra for the sealer etc...get a lot. I would say buy a gallon minimum, two if its a good price.. If you use a regular clear, you need about a GALLON or so of clear, as well as reducer and hardener to match the paint system you use.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finished the paint! Got the inside lower doors coated and blended up lightly. It was hard to get a perfect match the unkown interior color, but it came out great, and once the door card are on and the sun fades it all together, you may not even notice. We only had 1 issue, a solvent run that hit the door (dripped off the gun on total accident). With some 800grit and water, we lightly sanding it down, taped off an area to hit with color, then cleared the whole thing to blend. It was a GREAT moment taking the masking off for the first time in a while... Hopefully progress will move along on the other stuff as I have parts waiting in the wings.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote