View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #89
LEEVON

Re: Another frikken Volvo ?

Nonhog, this is cool! You mentioned true Volvo owners, so I have to tell you about an old neighbor. They drove Volvo's exclusively, his whole life he never owned anything else (with exception of a sweet '55 chevy). His wife had a wagon and he had a sedan, brown and tan. Each of them had multiples of 100k miles. He was a real interesting character, extremely anal about everything. Each of the cars had redundant ignition systems, batteries and charging systems, fuel systems (yes, extra fuel pumps!), remote oil filters, you name it. He also carried a large arsenal of spare parts on trips, of course they were never stranded which I thought was pretty neat.

Here's where it got interesting...wait for it...wait for it...he bought another Volvo new at the same time as the last two, then disassembled the entire car and stored it on cataloged shelves/bins in his basement. Each part, individually tagged, wrapped and in it's proper place ready for service. The one and only time my Dad and I went down there we were literally speechless. We smiled and waved after that but stayed on our side of the fence more.

This is pretty irrelevant but caps the whole thing. Same guy walked miles/day religiously and preached to anybody who would listen about his diet of rabbit food and water. Wait for it...massive heart attack. So you can be prepared all you want but you can't beat the odds!