View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #43
76C10Stepside

Re: '66 Corvair "Marigold"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron 1137 View Post
Ive neglected to update this thread so here we go....

Alot has happened, mostly unfavorable

-Get bottom of front seat re padded (DONE) $450
-Carpet & floor mats
-Exhaust (DONE) $150
-Detail engine bay
-Get tuned and running better
-Fix squeaky brakes
-Patch spare tire (DONE) $20

So in about 2 weeks i dropped 620 on this car and how does she repay me?

Heres how it went... i slacked off in the weeks before i was leaving for the adirondack nationals in Lake George NY. I did get the seat re padded and the guy did an amazing job, it turns out ALL of the springs were rusted and snapped, the reason why it cost me so much. the day i was set to leave it went to get the new muffler, a turbo, thrush possibly? i didn't ask. i sounds great. so I'm all ready to head out for Lake George and i get 3 miles from my house and the crank pulley/ harmonic balancer which is supposed to be joined together become disassembled. i was lucky that it happened close to home but needless to say, it didn't make it to lake george.

So i guess I just feel a little let down. the replacement parts will be here tomorrow and she should be running again soon.

Unfortunately I've had enough of this car and spending money on it just for it to break a week later. its time to start looking for something else so this will probably be for sale soon.
Just found this thread last night. I'm a Corvair guy too, have three of 'em, they breed like rabbits!

Ouch on the seat repair bill. That's what a complete set of new seatcovers costs! I just find good donor seats and swap 'em in! All my cars are drivers (or projects). Sorry you're feeling down about marigold. Remember, it's a 46 year old car, and how cheap you probably got it.

You're in good company. I've been having engine trouble with my 68 500 lately. To be fair, it was a used engine. The original engine was still running strong when I pulled it after over 5 great years of reliable and fun driving. Here's a picture of the 68:

p.s. Hi davemotohead! solve the crow problem yet?
76C10Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote