View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #17
quadzero

Re: '87 GMC Blue Rhino Project

Had a few days of really nice weather and out of my snowbank a 14 bolt appeared. I needed to take parts off because everyone I had asked to help me move it says it's too heavy. I knew those drums had to come off for sure.

The axles coming out.

Snap ring out,

then the key

and finally got to try out my brand new spindle nut tool, the nut wasn't tight, just came right out.

The drums came off easily, no banging with a hammer or anything. I was expecting a big fight. I have read alot about how heavy these things are, some places said 80 pounds,(must be the pair of them?) but these arent even close. Were alot lighter then I expected.

The drivers side reveiled a broken e-brake cable, but since I have already cut it when I removed the axle from the truck, its no worries.

Whole backing plate came off in one neat bundle, I won't be using any of this but I will keep them, just in case.

I did a lot of reading on how to take these drums off and I was expecting more parts, like in this picture (not my photo)

But in my setup the parts break down is more like in this diagram.

This was a fun little job, no fighting or struggling at all, Im sure I can carry it now all by myself to the basement, Have to say that this is the first time I'm doing anything like this and just about everything I have learned came from other treads on this forum.
Cheers, Les

Last edited by quadzero; 10-13-2012 at 09:25 PM.
quadzero is offline   Reply With Quote