Thread: Daverods 52
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #830
padresag

Re: Daverods 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 to Life View Post
padresag, great point. I run a 16lb cap, I feel most aluminum rads being offered come with a 16lb cap. When I ran about 25/75 mix I rarely ever went over 185 with a 185 stat, then I when I added more antifreeze (not sure of the mix now) I'm usually around 190 on average now. Hot days I have gone up to 210-220, which never happened the year before when I was running 25/75. I just wouldn't feel comfortable starting out at 200+. The cap pressure can be extremely high but if your running hot and need more pressure to stay away from overheating, I'd be worried. Again, I'd check temp at idle and make sure you are within cam suggested timing. I'd also check your balancer to make sure it is reading tdc and then double check timing. I'd eliminate every variable I could. I'm sure the engine is fine, but having the piece of mind on what its doing and how it responds to your changes is a great feeling.
back when these vehicles were built cooling capacities were larger, but as time progressed radiators became smaller with smaller front openings compared to earlier vehicles. this is why the pressure was increased to adjust the boiling point(operating temperatures) upwards
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote