View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 01:31 AM   #65
VWNate1

Post Re : Routine Overhauls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickclimbs View Post
I am NOT a hot rodder. this is a work truck. Just trying to figuer out which year this motor is so I can get parts and keep it running. Why would the engin not be worth rebuilding if it had the replacement heads?
Because you can always find a good running non integral head 250 for $150 or so .

Ergo , the integral engines are not worth the $700 ~ $2,000 necessary to do a full rebuild .

If the cylinders are not tapered you can always replace the worn out pistons and slip in new bearing shells , do the valves & guides , later model integral head engines with the EGR valve already have stellite seats & other unleaded fuel upgrades from the factory .

These are *very* thinwall cylinders by design , back when they were new , core shift in manufacturing meant the side of the cylinder occasionally cracked and fell into the water jacket as you were driving along , not racing or pulling 3 tons up a hill.......

You had to be there to understand I guess

As I said , they're very good engines , light and high horsepower plus torquey little monsters as all InLine engines tend to be , the longer the stroke , the torquier they are .

As long as you take middling care of it (clean oil !) it'll last & last and every 20 years or 100,000 miles or so you simply overhaul it , not rebuild it .

These make the best work rigs unless you need to race 'round with loads , that's not real working .

(I'm an old geezer so please pardon my atrocious spelling)
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote