View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #185
bollybib

Re: Jim's 1969 Custom/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrycurt View Post
Jim, treveiger did a good job explaining how to remove the ujoints (thanks treveiger!) so I think I've got a handle on that, but I'd still be interested in your thoughts on removing the yoke and installing the new carrier bearing.

How did you determine that your old bearing might have been reusable? I know my rubber support is totally gone and needs to be replaced and so I was thinking about replacing the bearing at the same time, but if I can leave it alone and just replace the rubber support that would make it a lot easier.

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack your awesome build thread with driveshaft talk, so feel free to provide whatever level of clarification you want.

Thanks again for the help.
After I cut off the old bearing and inspected it, it looked fine, no scoring or burns or evidence of wear. This is a sealed bearing and they usually last a long time. I don't know if this is the original bearing or not.
Name:  100_4961 15pct.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  80.8 KB

If you can find some pipe or steel tube that has a slightly larger ID than the spline end of the driveshaft, you can drive the new bearing home with that. I couldn't find anything lying around with that diameter so I drove it home little by little with a punch against the inner race and tapping around the circumference until it was seated. Once all the surfaces are clean it should go on with minimal effort.

In hindsight, I should have just replaced the rubber support and then see how that worked out before replacing the bearing. The real problem is that one is always tempted to replace everything (the "might as well" syndrome) once it is apart.

With plenty of time on my hands, I'm working on a picture story to show more clearly about what I did on the Ujoints and yoke (treveiger asked me for this some time ago,..,.,but I procrastinated until now). It takes me a while to write these things up because I like to be as clear and thorough as I can. I always learn something when I review this sort of thing, no matter how many times I've done it.

No worries on hijacking and thanks for your remarks.

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911