Thread: Heater rebuild
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
pritch

Heater rebuild

The heater in my green '68 barely works. I'm sure it's a combination of a bunch of crap like leaves and stuff plugging off the air flow and the heater core getting plugged off tubes. So I have been rebuilding a heater for it, and for good measure, one for my Panel project as well. I had most of 6 or 8 heaters laying around, so I started the process of finding the best ones. Most of the outer shells had that one corner broken off-the one that you can't get to the bolt for the fender being in the way. I made my decisions and went with this one and another that looked about the same:

After stripping everything off and a good scrubbing, I'll start with this:

There seems to be two different types of these. I think they changed at a year, but I don't know when. One has a metal ring inside that the fan attaches to, and the other has fiberglass nubs to take the screws. The one with the metal ring has the for pop rivets holding it on.

I say that the one with the metal ring is better. More on this later, but the other thing is, the later one, without the ring, has this blemish. A screw in the mold. 4 of the 6 I had had this. Good enough for O'l Green, but not for my Panel:
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote