View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #32
78bronzechariot

Re: 1968 GMC "Camillian"

Finally have the passenger bedside blocked out in filler, now for a couple coats of primer, but I did decide to take a break from bodywork and turn my attention to the frame. The poor thing was just caked in grease along the entire passenger side and the center crossmember. The truck must have leaked since it was new. I also disassembled the front suspension so that it can be degreased and painted. Since i am trying to keep the budget under control, I also decided that I would make my own c-notches instead of purchasing the $150 (or so after shipping) kit. I went to my local steel supplier and purchased a whole $15 worth of 3/16" plate to make my notch with. I also figure that welding it in is stronger than bolting in the kit. Unfortunately, I ran out of mig wire before I was done welding the passenger side and I didn't want to waste an hour going to the store. So I set the bed back on to see about mounting my 'burb tank under it and to see how much I would need to shorten the panhard rod to center the axle at my planned ride height.

On another note, a '69 Camaro hood front valance and spoiler appeared in the back of my '67. My plan is to do an interpretation of what GM could have done if they had made an "SS" pickup. I am going to make a spoiler fro the tailgate basing its shape off the Camaro spoiler, Cut the hood lover mounts out of the hood and graft them into the truck's hood, and modify 68 Camaro bumpers for the front and back mounted over roll pans. I want to keep all '68 elements so I don't know if i will use the '69 Camaro valance as part of my front roll pan. The spoiler and hood louvers are the same from 68 and 69 so they keep in the '68 theme. Now you can see where the trucks name is going: Cameo for the raked tailgate, Chameleon like the lizard that changes its appearance, and a play on my name. (That is still a secret....)
Attached Images

78bronzechariot is offline   Reply With Quote