View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
54belair

Re: Typical body repair cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointTech View Post
hopefully you know somebody that will even touch it unless you plan on doing it yourself. Most body shops wouldnt touch it with a 10ft pole. The resto shops wont quote a price because as soon as you sand it you find more to cut and weld. So its either full blown resto or nothing for them.
better to find a friend that knows how to weld and watch some youtubes on it. Unless its going to be a showtruck and you have deep pockets.

Youre correct on that. Ive helped my friend occasionally when he's in a bind----he looses a lot of business because he wont give a price for a job. On resto work, its strictly by the hour. He is a very honest guy, more so than I would prob. be----but people who come to him because of his good rep. are still put off cause its by the hour only---Ive heard eople grumble about "signing a blank check".
If you do one resto (and do it right), its amazing how many hours it takes.

I have near 350 hours in my build so far (plus his 68 hours) and my truck is still on the rotissary--about 20 hours labor away from paint----then prob. 75 to 100 hours or reassembly, adjustment, detail work, etc.

I am over the hump on cost (I hope), but Im still around 3.5K (material) away from a running, driving truck.
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote