View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #16
Arekusu

Re: Old School Hot Rod Truck (1964)

Well my friend Keith B. saved my bacon again..

I messed with the doors all day.. and got quite mad at how they didn't want to line up anywhere... I actually took the metal file to the top of the passengers door to create more gap.. yup.. going to have to touch that one up..

For all you readers out there that haven't restored your truck yet and are considering using panels / parts off of another truck or reproduction.. Put everything on as you would for final assembly, check gaps, file / grind down as necessary, weld if required, then paint. Don't think because it came off of another '64 and you have a '64 that it's going to fit.. they were made in different plants.. sooo the holes aren't always the same. Just a warning.

I had the cab off the frame and hung the doors to check the fit before the final paint and clear.. I thought I was good as I had already run the fenders before I took it all apart. I thought I just needed to check the doors. WRONG!

Anyway, how Keith B. saved my bacon.. After hanging the fuel pressure regulator and trying to decide what -AN fittings to use where and what degree bend they needed to be.. he Proclaims "I know how to fix your fender / door gap"... then like the sage he is, he tells me to remove the top two bolts on the inner fender attached to the firewall on the cab.. and then it happened.. BAM! 1/8" gap. SO I need to space the inner fenders forward with a washer or two, per bolt, per side.. which also means I need longer bolts. Everything is connected to the front support (minus the outer fenders lower support / shim where the rubber biscuit goes) The front core support has at least an 1/8" .. maybe even a 1/4" of adjustment on it. And it still lines up with the last two rear bigger sized bolts that mount the outer fender to the cab. So I'm ecstatic! I rubbed some door and fender but it's not going to look like crap anymore with crazy body alignment. I hope someone reads this and is enlightened on 64-66 panel / body alignment.
Arekusu is offline   Reply With Quote