Thread: 74' by Jabes...
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 05:07 AM   #76
Jabes1

Re: 74' by Jabes...

My blinkers would not self cancel, my hazards would not flash. Electrical wise the blinker system was intact. The blinker cam was broken and I could see it flex through the port on column where the blinker arm inserts. I was going to purchase a whole new blinker assembly about $35-$50, depending on where it was purchased from. I happened to be in Autozone and noticed in the "Oops" section they had just the cams themselves. They came two to a box for different years and all for around $8. I also noticed they had bushing and pin kits to repair the hinges on the doors which Ill be getting to shortly as well. Using a puller, I removed the steering wheel hub, next using another puller, depress the column lock and pull out the circlip retaining the column lock.

This piece of plastic is 39 years old at least. The top portion is what I am replacing, the rest of it was still good. I had already removed the centering springs in this picture along with the blinker arm.

Old cam and new cam. The contacts themselves are transferred to the new cam.

I cleaned up the contacts with a rag, acetone and cotton swabs. The contact were full of 39 years of dust, grime and old contact grease.

Contacts cleaned and transferred.

Cam installed along with centering pins and blinker arm. Later down the road, I'm going to pull the column, refinish the exterior and add a billet kit to it.

This green piece is what makes contact with the horn button. Mine is worn out and is the reason, why my horn isn't working. I'm going to have to order a new one. On top of this piece will be the column lock, circlip retaining pin and so on...

Finishing up for the day...