View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #147
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Re: 66 Buick Skylark - Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
It's really coming together nicely Steve (and Kyle). Seeing stuff like this makes me want to tear mine all the way back down and start over. It's sooooo clean.
Thanks Jonboy. This is a case of scope creep for sure. The idea was to fix the paint and just enjoy driving it and well, one thing led to another and now here we are.

In the last few weeks I sold one of my pickups - a really nice BB SWB that I really hated to see leave, but it's going to a great home. To make a long story short, a forum member pm'd me and asked if I would consider selling it, just out of the blue. So Yeller is now in his new home in AZ and getting a full blown resto with tons of NOS pieces. That frees up resources to go ahead and take Ruth up to the next level. Nice how things work out.

Here's a pic of the oil pan that I ordered from AutoKraft...

This is a really well built pan, not stamped steel. This has a big advantage over cast pans in that you can 'customize' it for additional clearance, which it turns out still needed to be done to clear the center link and tie rods.

The other advantage is that the kick outs at the deep part of the pan allow oil capacity and better road clearance than the LH8 pan I had tried to use before. But that makes it a much tighter fit when installing the engine/tranny. Just be aware that it does fit great once it's in, but the pan was fighting the cross member and the bellhousing was fighting the trans tunnel all at the same time.

Anyway, the engine is back in for good this time and the steering will now go lock to lock with no interference.

After spending last week waiting on parts we are moving back in the right direction again.

Got the Griffin radiator this week, along with the shroud and fan.

Went with a single 16" fan rather than two smaller fans as it turns out this will pull more CFM (3650) with less amps.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote