View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #66
legendman

Re: K30 Cummins Dually build

Big update...

Got it registered and insured, been doing some test drives on the road and found I have a serious death wobble issue. So I started with getting new tires and rims for the front.
Figured maybe a tire was out of balance or a rim was bent.
Well after cleaning up a pair of rims I brought and putting different tires on by hand.
I used airsoft bbs to balance the tires and after all that the death wobble was still there.
So hunting around I found worn king pins might be the issue.
For $170 I picked up king pin rebuild kits for both sides from East Coast Gear, all dana/spicer parts.

All ripped apart, and need to find something to get the king pin out, I heard it can be a really PITA to get out.

Luckily the hardware store across town had the 7/8" allen wrench I needed for $23.00
Hope I don't break it.

Well the l/s pin came right out with little effort, r/s required some gumption to get it out.

Lower bearing races were a bugger to get out, had to grind the race a bit.

What happens to create the death wobble is the spring looses tension over time and allows the plastic bushing to jump around.
You can see the spring height in the next pic...
r/s on the left, l/s spring in the middle and new spring on the right.

Used my seal / bearing drivers to put the lower bearing race back in.
Brought these over 20 years ago, glad I still had them.

Getting the r/s back together..

Well after that 2 day chore I can say the death wobble is now gone.

Also wired up my O/D and lock-up for the 47rh so I could really test and I am tickled everything is working.
Now to get cracking on other stuff on my to-do list..
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
legendman is offline   Reply With Quote