View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #104
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: My daily driver/beater : How I turned lemons in lemonade

Well it looks like the project is kind of firming up.

First and foremost, I have to finish up the engine job in my 4x4, which is all but done (still finishing cooling system and looking for a couple of serpentine brackets). That way I will have a pickup to drive daily while I build on the stepside. I don't want to go back to hauling crap in the back of my little Honda Element again because I'm pickup-less.

Then I'll dig into the stepside. I was originally figuring to wait until winter, but will probably make it a summer project instead.

-I'm standing by to see what all Randy comes up with on the V6 stuff. Randy, this is no rush at all. It's not like I'm on a timeline. I'm hoping there will be enough stuff to get me towards a stock 4.3 with TBI injection. Randy, I'm gonna have a 4 bolt main 350 sitting around when swap it out. You into small blocks ? If so, I'm your guy.

-Jonboy, I might be interested in the ECM and TBI wiring stuff. I figured I'd do a Painless TBI harness until I priced them. 400 bucks for the harness. So, I can do a ton of harness repair, splicing, combining, or fabricating for that kind of money. Valerie's dad in Richardson has been having some significant health issues so we've been traveling over there pretty frequently.

-I'd very much like to do serpentine when I swap in the other engine. That's pretty much an absolute for me. I'll round up whatever serpentine stuff I need depending on what Randy has.

-Then, there's the air suspension. I've never done one before and I'm pretty bored with the rut I've been in with my truck building. I'm thinking about doing a basic airbag setup. Since I already have drop spindles in the front, it's looking like doing bag cups and plates would be a good option. Porterbuilt looks to have a very nice front kit for 360 dollars. I'm strongly leaning that direction. In the back, with my current flip kit, I'd do a notch and thin out of leaf spring packs a bunch then do an air-over-leaf like Ken used to have on his truck. Seems simple and inexpensive. I don't worry too much about the wheelhop issue guys warn of since I'll be running a very low powered drivetrain being driven by a light footed driver.

-I will paint the truck while I have it apart. Not sure what, but something to make it look more decent. I've been getting undue hassle from the cops while driving this truck. No tickets yet, but every little thing gets me pulled over. I figure it's because I look like a meth tweaker truck or something. I'm thinking probably a mild color with white bumper and top.