Thread: Project Falcon
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #23
Billett

Re: Project Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin_c10 View Post
Falcons are just Mustangs, more or less, under the skin. Most, if not all, the same chassis and powertrain tricks apply.

Narrow up an Explorer 8.8 to get the posi, 31 spline axles and rear disks cheap. Mini tub it to the rails so you can get some tire under it. Use a bolt on front disk brake kit or go with OEM stuff and some Mustang Steve brackets. Shelby drop the UCAs and box the lowers and add some decent springs and shocks. Roller spring perches work wonders as well, (Daze Cars).
Drop in a Fox roller 5.0 H.O. and 5 speed. Carb it or retain the donors EFI, its literally a bolt in affair as the Falcons came with a 289 option.

Brace up the chassis with subframe connectors, and a good export brace. Toss in a "Shelby" style roll bar, some 4/5 point harnesses and some sport seats to retain your behind on hard corners.

Back "in the day" I had a 64 289 4 speed falcon 2 door that was tougher than nails. I really miss that car.
Pretty much hit the nail on the head. I keep going back and forth about a roll bar but think I'll pass since it'll be a regularly used car. I'd rather not have my passengers crack their skulls on steel tubing. 5.0s are just so darn boring though... Mini tub is probably gonna happen too, but I don't know for sure yet. Haven't really checked what will fit back there, but I'm sure it won't be enough for my tastes.

I think I'm pretty set on the sr20 at this point. Parts are cheap and easy to find, and we've got most of them already, and it won't be hard to fit in there, but still be something way different than everything else out there.
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote