View Single Post
Old 08-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
MARKDTN

Re: '96 5.7 Vortex for my '71 GMC ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie H. View Post
You won't need to change the flywheel, and You can use the distributor, water pump, fan, and all the stock accessories and brackets from your 307, (unless you want to convert to a newer serpentine set up.) You will need a different intake to work with the vortec heads. You will also need an electric fuel pump because there is no provision for a mechanical pump on the l31 block.
You do need a 1-piece seal style flywheel or flexplate, you cannot reuse your original-the bolts are in a different place on the crankshaft. You should get a hardened drive gear for the distributor due to the roller cam-may can use the one on the Vortec distributor. I do not think you can use the original water pump, the passages in the front of the block look different-may be wrong about that one. Your stock accessories should work fine, but I would use the serpentine setup and later alternator if it was me. I would also leave the fuel injection, but if you must have a carb, you will need an external fuel pump as mentioned.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote