View Single Post
Old 11-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #112
mechanicalman

Re: Urgent, need opinions on my new crate engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy.powell View Post
So I had the same issue with my temp sending unit for the gauge and did all the different "fixes" that have been suggested on the board and none of them worked to my satisfaction, i.e. - different sensors that were 3/8" NPT, putting a stock sensor in the intake manifold 1/2NPT using the 1" thermostat housing spacer to clear the radiator hose and on and on... None gave me the confidence I wanted.

Save yourself time and money and just do this - "If you want to run an original temperature sensor in the original location in the head (most folks have had problems getting one that reads properly), forum member brian mac machines the originals to 3/8" NPT. Here's a link with some discussion on this topic and his contact info http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=627880"

Best $30 (including the sensor" I ever spent! Even though I think I read in some of the earlier posts you said you only had lights vs. gauges, I'm sure he could machine one of those down for you also.
B/R,
RP
The intake location is the best, accuracy wise. That's why when more accuracy was needed for fuel injection, the factory started putting them there as close to the thermostat as possible.

Also, there is no issue with the 5/8" sending units for the "idiot" lights. They do not operate on resistance, they are a simple switch and they all turn on at a reasonable temp to indicate overheat.

You sound like an advertisement for machined down sensors.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote