Thread: HRSaR
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #11
McMurphy

Re: HRSaR

In my lifetime I have been on a week long Carribean cruise, and boats and ships of varying sizes, so I know that I do not suffer from sea sickness.
Trish had no such assurances.
If you ever think you want to spend the money to take a cruise, and are not sure is some one in the party is prone to sea sickness, you may want to consider a cheaper alternative like this prior. I could not imagine spending a vacation cruise locked in my cabin.

Much to our mutual relief, everyone turned out to be immune and an enjoyable voyage was had by all !!

There was plenty of weather during the 4 days aboard, this off the bow of the ship.
Name:  Cruise 1.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  15.4 KB

Some of the channels we passed were pretty narrow. I have video that shows just how much zig-zagging the ship had to do sometimes to navitage those straits.
Name:  Cruise 2.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  20.5 KB

I have to admit that I didnt have the patience to absorb all the natural beauty that surrounded us on the ship. I spent a lot of time reading, a simple joy and past time I do not indulge enough these days.

A few things however, did catch my eye.

An Island:
Name:  Cruise 3.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  20.6 KB

A trio of Orcas:
Name:  Cruise 3 orcas.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  17.0 KB

Some whales:
Name:  Cruise whale.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  13.6 KB

The whales were hard ones to catch, they would mostly just crest like in my photo, and catching the tails coming out of the water was hard. Especially since we were all going in opposite directions.... LoL

By the second day you could tell who the veterans of this trip were, and there was also a sense of community. That phrase "We are all in the same boat" really comes to life when you are ........ you know, on a boat.
People start looking out for each other almost instantly, and were entirely pleasent to each other; it was uncanny.

One day we had an 8 hour port call in the island town of Sitka. Let me tell you this place in the summer time could steal the dreams from your days and turn them into pure bliss. It was a cute, compact little town, and we enjoyed our time there emmensly.
I would not, ever, live there though.

As we closed in on Juno, I looked off the starboard bow and saw what appeared to be a person standing on a log in a small meadow. When it spread its massive wings and took off I realized I was looking at the biggest bald eagle I could imagine.
You have to understand that we were at least 400 yards from this bird, and with my poor eyesight I was able to spot it on a log.
My spoken "Holy Crap" was quickly followed by, "dang, I dont have a camera !!"

The last thing I think I have to say about the cruise leg of our adventure would be an acknowledgement to the crew of our ship.
Not only were they very pleasent and accomodating, but many times during the trip they would thank me for helping the school teacher. Like I said earlier, she makes the trip a few times a year, so they all know her.
And in case he reads this I wont embarrass him by identifying him, but one of the ship crew asked for a sale price on the 66.
Once I broke down and quoted something close to 30k he stopped asking, but it was flattering none the less.

It was all told an 84 hour journey through narrows and channels 3.5 days of sheer relaxation.
All in all,
Alaska Marine Highway in the summer time..... big thumbs up !!

By the time we got to Bellingham, Washington we were rested, fully initiated to the sounds and quirks of the Tow Truck, and ready to face the one of the most dangerous enviroments known to man..... the I-5 CORRIDOR !!!

Or so we thought...

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote