View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
Fatherflash

Re: need opinions on storing an engine

I would recommend you build it and then store it. Simply because you have less corrosive area exposed to moisture that can corrode if the motor is assembled. Once built, fill the motor with oil and then store it. Also ensure you close passages as possible. One crucial point no matter which path you choose - get dessicant (silica bags) and place this in the engine such as the inlet manifold/carb location and on the engine front, back, everywhere.

Dessicant is frequently overlooked when corrosive items are stored for long periods of time and I have found this is a quite crucial requirement. I have stored hundreds of turbine engines which are stored in sealed, nitrogen filled containers with dessicant and these motors sit for years before being opened and installed. If dessicant is not placed in the engine before storage, it is evident as soon as the crate is opened and the engine is inspected. Of course, totally different engine type however, metal and corrosion does not care. It will happen to almost any reactive surface.

Check ebay for dessicant or silica bags. If not there, try other locations. Probably 10, one pound bags replaced every six months to every year would be good enough.

Wish you luck.

Bren