View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 09:47 PM   #27
eodbeast

Re: SBC 350 top end noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 350 Shorty Wide View Post
Good Morning, I'll chime in on this a bit. Have you determined if it is cam or crank rpm based. If cam rpm... have you listened to the fuel pump yet? They have been known to make sounds like this. If it's crank rpm based... When does the ticking start, cold, hot, when revving up or winding down? This should lead to whether it maybe a piston or rod sound. Well just trying to help. Seems to me if it was there before all the work was done and it's still there, the fix would be something entirely separate not yet addressed.

All have a great day, God bless, Terry
Thanks Terry. It is cam based. Fuel pump and pushrod are brand new. That was one of my first suspects. As I mentioned earlier, the only parts not new in this engine are the rods and pistons. I'm not hearing any typical wrist pin double tap and piston slap tends to have almost a bell ringing sound to it. This is definitely top end, but just can't isolate it.

The more I think about it, I didn't put new cam bearings in when I did the swap. Did everything with the block still in the truck. I had an old Ford T-bird years ago with a 400 that had a similar but more subdued sound both before and after a cam swap. Turned out that one had a bad cam bearing in the rear journal.
eodbeast is offline   Reply With Quote