View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #21
rgunlock

Re: My 78 K15 High Sierra build - Fish Tremble

I bought VA's bracket kit to move the alternator to the driver side so that I could mount the AC compressor on the passenger side and avoid having hoses run across the engine.

VA did us a big disservice on this bracket. I'm using original drop manifolds on my truck, as well as OEM brackets for the power steering pump. VA's instructions say that if you use the OEM power steering brackets "you may have to trim the front spacer". Doesn't say how much. Apparently they don't figure that the average Joe will have the OEM PS brackets and just include the correct length spacer in the kit. Well, I estimated I needed to grind about 3/16 off the spacer based on visual of the PS bracket. Tried to mount the new alt bracket which bolts into the 1st and 3rd manifold bolt holes. Wouldn't line up to start the bolt. Screwed with this for at least a couple hours. Drilled bracket holes bigger to give more slack (probably not needed in retrospect), ended up removing all the manifold bolts to get the front one to start (the problem one). Bolted the rest of the manifold back on and mounted the alternator. Was pointing way off at an angle. Figure out it was that spacer I ground down. Off it all comes... grind some more... back together... still not right... repeat a couple time! Finally, got the alt pointing forward. That bolt went in easier and easier the more I ground off. Why oh why couldn't they have just included the right length spacer??? I think that I ended up grinding off about 3/8 inch on that spacer when done. I'll have to measure when I pull it apart to paint the brackets. Enough rant for this post, it ended up looking pretty good.
Attached Images

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote