View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 10:38 PM   #9
Hayseed4

Re: A boy and his 1972 fleetside restoration

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I have followed the forum for a few years, and am glad to be able to contribute. I am located just north of Lafayette, but will be outside of Fort Wayne in the beginning of October. As for the radio that is a great eye. It is not a factory AM/FM but a very very good reproduction from Antique Automobile Radio Inc. It is a stereo with aux inputs and sub outs. The radio is digital tuning, but utilizes push buttons. I have a few AM radios, but have been unable to get them working.

The attached pictures show the cab removed and frame sand blasted. I then primed it with a zinc based primer that is a "self sacrificing" paint. Basically that means that it forms a chemical bond to the metal and will allow the primer to be consumed by rust rather than the frame. I then put undercoating on it to add more protection. It is the same system that is used for vehicle that are exposed to salt spray near the ocean. I think it will be sufficient for winter roads in the rust belt.

The engine is off to the machine shop and should be back in about 3 weeks. More to come on the engine and transmission later.

Just about have the cab all blasted, should have it done by the end of the week
Attached Images

Hayseed4 is offline   Reply With Quote