View Single Post
Old 09-24-2015, 08:11 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Re: Exhaust hangs lower than frame? Lowering?

Yeah, I'm sure Mike knows they vary by maker and design. He was being general saying the 4wd headers "typically" ride higher. I think with the SBC headers some companies just sell you 73-up headers or try to do one size fits all. I've always bought the better headers and never had a low-hung issue. If I put a header on that hung below the frame it would go back in the box and money refunded. There's more to a header fitting than at the head. I have always had a thing about exhaust tucked up inside the frame. Nothing else flies with me and I have never had a truck that didn't have it all up and clear. My '72 has bugged me since '01 because the guy put the Flowmasters sideways and you can see some muffler below the frame. I drive it in using mufflers on 5' of fresh pipe I have bent to go over the cross member and weld the bell flanges on. He just went off the end of those when the intention was for him to cut or bent my pipe as needed. The result is the pipe runs straight to long and at a slight downward angle (same as headers). This time I'll be running it in on the existing system and I'll be sure to make it clear exactly what I want.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote