View Single Post
Old 10-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #18
Fatherflash

Re: Honest opinion's wanted

Ok, here is something to think about when installing larger rims. Your rim basically sits on a joint along an axis. Since you are increasing the distance between the two, you are increasing the "moment" and also the "arm". If you increase the moment and/or the arm, you are increasing the force on that joint. The moment may for the most part be offset due to a lighter rim being installed however, the arm is still increasing which can or may increase force on that joint axis.

Attempted simple explanation here: (Moment: is a combination of a physical quantity and a distance) (Arm: simply the length between a joint axis and the line of force acting on that joint).

A moment arm is simply the length between a joint axis and the line of force acting on that joint. Every joint that is involved in an exercise has a moment arm. The longer the moment arm is the more load will be applied to the joint axis through leverage.

That being said, it is arguable that 1 inch braking surface is not measurable however the force along the axis increases exponentially while correlating to the increase in diameter of the rim. In other words, greater rim size along the outer aspect of the diameter increases the force on the axis. I believe to offset this, larger diameter brakes should be considered. This is my opinion and mine alone.

I increased my brake size and upgraded my brake system simply due to my view that this is "cheap insurance" when I really need the stopping power during those one or two "Oh Hits" events that seem to happen every year.

As a person who has in the past worked with large diameter spinning systems, (see picture under name) I felt the investment was worthwhile based on my experience and knowledge. It is your investment and instinct so it is your decision to make.