View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 09:23 PM   #18
Hayseed4

Re: A boy and his 1972 fleetside restoration

So I sent my engine and transmission off to be rebuilt in the middle of August and they are just about done with them, I have been eagerly awaiting them to be completed as they are taking pictures of the whole process. The transmission is a TH350 that will have all new guts and have a few extra clutch discs which should handle the low end torque of the rebuilt engine and handle quite a bit of towing capacity. The engine is going to cost more than anticipated, but will be well worth while when it is done. While I can't exactly remember all of the specs right now, I think the biggest shock was how bad the heads were and how much of a ridge was in the cylinders. I knew the cylinder needed some work from when I took the oil pan off a while back for some seal replacement, but was surprised that it needed to be done .040. apparently lots of desert dust must have gotten into the engine from it's years in Utah. Definitely goes to show how important it is to change the air filter I guess. Has anyone else seen something like that in other engines? The guys I bought it from said the heads had been done recently, but the machine shop said the last time they were done, they didn't grind the valves right because they gouged into the seats, the valves were loose in the guides, and the springs were all worn out. That necessitated new valves and springs, but when the heads were cleaned and magnafluxed, they found they were both cracked, so I had to get a used set of heads that the shop had and had them completely rebuilt with new valves, springs, guides, ect. I don't know how the engine kept on running for so long with those type of problems. Must be that the engine was just so use to running it didn't know how not to run... Either that or the four bolt small block 350 is practically indestructible. More to come on the engine rebuild later.
Hayseed4 is offline   Reply With Quote