Thread: Our barn find
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #10
Daddy'O

Re: Our barn find

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Wow!!! What's the story? What do you need to do to make it a driver? More pictures???
I know – Crazy.

Here’s the story - The gentleman we purchased the car from oldest brother bought the car in the mid 1960’s and died after a couple of years of ownership. The grandfather bought it, drove it, and did a minor restoration in the early 1980’s (paint/interior). When he passed the grandmother gave it to her grandson – the man we bought it from. The car was last driven to a car wash down the street in spring of 2014. He, like so many of us, didn’t have the time, or funds to keep up with the car. He felt it was time to let someone else enjoy it instead of slowly rotting away in his grandmother’s garage. When we first met his first question was – “You guys aren’t flippers are you? I mean what are your plans for the car?” When we told him we wanted the car to rebuild for my wife and to be able to take the grand kids for ice cream someday he seemed relieved and now wants to be updated on the progress. Made a new friend.

The engine will crank and run with fuel down the carb. I think it will take the usual things to get it moving on its own – clean fuel tank, possible carb rebuild, change fluids, check/replace hoses, belt, and brakes. It will definitely need new tires, shocks, and new muffler/tailpipe before being a driver. There is some minor rust in the floor pan on the passenger side and I’m sure some more rust hiding in other places as well as a few other surprises, but overall, the car is clean and probably 90 to 95% intact. Has the original engine as the ID number matches the title. I recently learned vehicles from 1955 and back used the engine ID number (instead of the VIN) on a Texas title for the VIN – weird huh?

The wagon is a 1955 Chevy 210 Townsman with 265 v8 and powerglide transmission. We will most likely upgrade the suspension, add four wheel disks, modern LS drivetrain, air conditioning, etc. I don’t want to say “resto mod” but I guess that’s what it is. We do want to keep a real sleeper look to it.

Thanks for the compliments on the ride. I still cannot believe how fortunate we were to be able to stumble across the wagon. The old saying is true – Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.
Attached Images

Our Shop Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=620966
'55 Wagon Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689157
1971 Cheyenne Super Ochre/White LWB 350 Auto - my son's truck "Nancy"
1972 GMC K2500 Custom 4X4 Olive LWB 400 SB 4-speed -"Greenie" - Restoration to begin after the '55
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
Daddy'O is offline   Reply With Quote