View Single Post
Old 01-15-2016, 04:05 PM   #328
Billhilly

Re: 41DegreesSouth Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I can't remember, was there any particular reason you went with electric fans over a mechanical with a clutch and a shroud? One way to test the air trapping issue in that hose would be this. Build a pipe out of steel with the ends and use a hose on either end to hook to the engine and radiator. Put a drain valve in the top of the highest point of the pipe. Crack the drain after filling it and see if air comes out. I know it wil be more work and a pain now that the truck is driving. I've had air get trapped in some builds and it can be a pain actually figuring out why it was there and why it wouldn't work it's way out.
There wasn't any particular reason I went electric. I thought that's what the cool kids did Better with aircon, couple more horsepowers out of my tired 400... Like your steel pipe idea. I have ordered a steel pipe bend and if I get convinced I'll replace the middle section of that lower hose and put a bleed in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim View Post
I use an old trick that my father-in-law showed me, I drill a small 1/8" hole in the thermostat, then when you are filling the radiator/block with water/anti-freeze, the air will come out of the block, seems to work, I drill every thermostat I install....
Good idea. Did a rush driveway change to the 180* thermostat in Taupo. Would be worth getting a hole in it when I drain it next.

I talked to the local engine rebuilder yesterday. He wondered about the shroud being restrictive. One easy check is remove the electric fan shroud, chuck on a stock fan, and see what happens. A relatively easy check so I'll start there. If I can find the original fan I took off nine years ago! I also want to do a block flush as well. Anyone done a rust/scale flush before? What chemical did you use?