View Single Post
Old 02-28-2016, 02:10 PM   #24
msg

Re: Where to start on this blasted cab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad54 View Post
Yeah, I'd definitely change out those rockers.
If you do one side at a time, and do them one component at a time, I don't really see why you'd need to weld braces into the cab to keep it together.
For instance, if you start with the driver's side rocker panel, you'll cut out the rocker, but the floor will still be in there--and the floor will keep the cap together. Then when the new rocker is in, cut out the floor pan section and the cab is held together with the rocker.
AND, the other side of the vehicle that you haven't touched yet.

If you're going to cut out both rockers and the floor pan at the same time, then yeah, I'd brace it. But otherwise there's enough there to hold it all together on its own.

-Brad
Great info thanks Brad, I'll consider the bracing in this situation as a nice to have. The jungle gym factor you mentioned was also a concern. If however that bracing is a must Id do it, but if I can not shoot myself in the foot and work the way you outlined Ill try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracko View Post
Also doesn't hurt to drill a small hole through the hinges and hinge plates in the pillar before taking the doors off, then you can use the drill bits to line the door back up.
I did actually remember to drill that hole you mentioned on the drivers door though the hinge to the cab, but forgot to do the passenger side. The doors were in real rough shape at the base Ive cut out the door base and replaced with a patch panel. The driver door just needed the base of the door, but the passenger side was rusted through at the front base. So I tried making a patch at the base and botched the passenger door. I have since bought the entrie door skin and was going to replace it. As I recall the recommended plan was to wait until the cab was done and then make the passenger door repair.

I had a thread on it here
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=690647

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
At a minimum you are going to need cab corners, outer rockers and inner rockers and outer floor. I would get the one piece outer floor with the inner rocker. Those are much easier to work with and get things straight IMO. Some of the back of the cab you will either need to fab yourself or find a donor cab to cut that section from.
Ive gotten in the past (late 90's) almost all of the panels you see here, except the black cab corner which I ordered last year. If I recall those are the outer rockers, so maybe all have left to order is the one piece outer floor inner rocker combo you mentioned Capt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian_diesel1964 View Post
I wish mine was that nice....but I like custom trucks...LOL...good luck it'll be sweet when done Im sure..
Thanks, I'll be excited when I have this part behind me.

But for today I will set my sights on the hood that the blaster couldnt get all of the top off. I had removed the inner bracing and they didnt want to warp it so it s me and some paint stripper today.