View Single Post
Old 05-08-2016, 11:32 PM   #258
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: My K5 Blazer Story.

Since the wifey was too exhausted to do anything today I got a pass to go play outside today. Got one thing done on the list. Seats are mounted finally. Had to modify the plates I made for these seats from the 75 as the floor pan differs to the 91. Plus using the stock holes had the seat too far to the right. It was horribly obnoxious to drive sitting off center to the steering wheel. I ended up moving the seat just about an inch to the left. I made a run to the farm store for some grade 8 hardware and some flat stock for making backing plates under the floor. On to the pics..

Drivers side floor prior to drilling.

Front drivers side brackets. I managed to still use the stock holes on the front side to double up the top bracket mount with the seat. I'm a big boy and figured tying into the stock mount with it's reinforcement should help beef it up.

The rear mount on the drivers side. All the brackets top side and bottom side will get removed and painted prior to the final install after the flooring is put down.

Front mount on the passenger side. I was able to reuse the inside front hole so I didn't have to drill one hole at least.

Passenger side rear mount.

Passenger side egress to back seat shot. Not a lot of room, but still usable.

Drivers side final position. Mounting is very solid. I would say better than the '75 when I installed them in there.

I must have climbed in and out a dozen times checking and double checking the position to make sure I was lined up and had enough room to operate. I cheated to the rear for legroom as the Silverado tracks have a ton of movement. Where I mounted them, the seat goes far enough forward somebody a foot shorter could fit nicely. Also as others have noted doing this swap the Silverado buckets sit slightly lower than stock. For me being 6'1" and a bit on the large size, the lower position is perfect for me. Plus it makes hiking my butt inside a little bit easier. Still I think a grab handle on the a-pillar or roof might be needed or I see the tilt column getting loose from using it as a grab point to get in.

Still, it's a little bit of progress. The Tuffy console is going to need some more substantial fabrication for it's mounting. Still got to install the shims to the rear axle and get the driveshaft sorted out. Larry's got the plan, but is getting the burb ready for expo coming up and I don't want it to be in his way. We'll see about getting it back to the Bigassgas Garage once he gets back. Plus in the meantime I've got to get a 64 Impala ready to sell to add some cash back to the K5 coffers. It's an 1 owner survivor 4dr hardtop in excellent shape. Not as desirable as a 2dr, but a very nice stock cruiser that could take 6 to the drive-in and 6 more hiding in the trunk!
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote