View Single Post
Old 08-19-2016, 12:18 AM   #14
lil hoodlum

Re: 1968 327 reubuild, vortec heads or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
Does Promax recommend a specific gasket for these heads? It might be worth a phone call to them to ask. It looks to me like you need the traditional Vortec lower manifold gaskets.

I agree with the other comment about your compression. Do you know the deck clearance or the piston relief cc? What head gasket are you planning to use?

First I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to read and comment on my situation.

I do not know what the deck clearance or piston relieff cc is. I asked the machine shop if they decked or milled the block. They said no that had hadn't done either.

I am not building the motor only paying for it. The machine shop is a well known engine builder in this area and they usually do high performance and racing applications.

I am a little bummed that I will have to be using premium gas. The builder said something that I likely won't be able to run on regular unleaded. He also said it should be putting out somewhere between 300 to 350 horsepower.

I have heard that 300 horsepower is just enough for it to still be streetable. Again this is my daily driver, not some weekend play toy.

Question for you fine folks.

What if I were to go with a set of aluminum heads with 72cc combustion chamber? That should lower my compression ratio some and maybe I could get by on mid-grade gasoline. I am thinking about these heads again by ProMaxx. http://www.jegs.com/i/ProMaxx-Perfor.../2171/10002/-1. Aluminum heads 185cc, 2.02"/1.06" valves, 72cc combustion chamber.

I am fine with after market heads as I will be using an HEI distributor. I just would really prefer everything else to factory stock and look like a 327 from 1968.

Again thank you for the imput guys. I really appreciate it!
lil hoodlum is online now   Reply With Quote