View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 09:10 PM   #11
66Submarine

Re: Replacing 6 cylinder with V8 and super T-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder71 View Post
So why is it all cars have a rear crossmember and the trans bolts to it? I have the polyurethane motor mounts to fit the truck along with the transmission mount...I had a 66 c10 short bed years ago someone installed a turbo 350 and it had the crossmember at the tail like normal cars do and if I remember they torched the factory bell housing member out...so if I bolt it to the factory bell housing mounts and run the $hit out of it with 4-500 hp it will hold up? I have a small blower and a sbc 434 for the future.
Not all cars, actually. The auto trans stuff mounts at the tailshaft, just the nature of it. Are they the interlocking type of mounts? The ones I'm referring to are the later '73-'87 type.

You can break anything and IMO if you look for weak points you will probably find them somewhere. The OE setup is basically a mid plate mount. I'd personally much rather have it than the auto style.

That being said, it's still just an iron bellhousing. What if while you "run the $hit out of it with 4-500 hp" you blow the clutch up? I don't know how you are going to drive.

If you are really wanting to go full-stop stupid with a blown 434 I'd suggest all good stuff like an explosion-proof bellhousing, steel flywheel, good clutch, etc. And then you still have the transmission itself. And the rest of the driveline.

For the current application I'd just leave it. It's already in there and has worked for countless others in the last half a century.

YMMV