View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 11:29 PM   #47
Techie79

Re: My 1958 GMC 100 Stepside Budget Build

Thanks everyone for the compliments and suggestions. Not a lot of progress but after some more studying and measuring I decided to trim about 1/4 inch off of each end of the replacement panel and was able to work it into place. The rust in the roof just wasn't bad enough to warrant the amount of work that it would take to pull the roof and reweld it so I just sprayed the hidden rust with some ospho and rattle can primer and installed the new panel. I hope I don't regret it later but seemed like the right thing to do at the time to keep moving. Please don't be too tough on my amateur welding skills. I am self taught and still learning as I go.

I still have a few pin holes to fill and some grinding to do on the roof panel but I decided to take a break on the cab sheet metal work and started prepping the frame for the new CPP engine and trans crossmembers that I bought a few months ago.

Here are the engine mounts that whoever did the engine swap from the straight six to the sbc put in place. Those will have to go!!

I got the old trans removed and cut the trans crossmember in half and drilled and punched out all of the rivets that held the crossmember and clutch mounting bracket in place. With 3 different size drill bits a 2 different punches and a hammer the rivets came out much easier than I expected. I also removed the factory brake master cylinder and pedal assembly and will be replacing it with a CPP firewall mounted assembly.

Between family activities, yard work, and plumbing problems I haven't had much time in the last few weeks but hopefully some progress this weekend.
Techie79 is offline   Reply With Quote