View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #2
wilkin250r

Re: Seeking input on radiator replacement for 1977 GMC 3/4 Longbed

A radiator replacement is a good starting point for learning. It's just complex enough that you get to deal with a bunch of the headaches like difficult bolts to reach, hoses that don't come off, and other stuff that are all "normal" when working on cars. But it's not too difficult and daunting, like an engine overhaul.

As for restoration vs upgrading, my personal philosophy is that it only matters in two areas. The first and obvious is a show truck. The second is any place it SHOWS. I don't want different headlights, or a different grill, or a different set of heater controls or gauges. I want OEM, because it shows. But the radiator doesn't show. Ain't nobody going to pop the hood on an old rustbucket, with three diffent colored quarterpanels, and say "Oh, it's got the original radiator. Nice!". Unless it's a show truck, nobody is going to judge you because your radiator isn't OEM.

(I'm not implying your truck is an old rustbucket, or is several different colors, but you get my meaning.)