View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #16
HunterRotten

Re: Got Cragars, will this backspacing work or do I need to exchange?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
Based on the pictures, the rear tires tuck inside the rear fender - their tops are higher than the fender edge.

The tire sidewall will bugle slightly wider than the rim itself. This means the sidewall will protrude outside your fender, and the tread will still hit the fender edge.

A 295/50R15 is slightly shorter than a stock tires, but you're really going to want to have a minimum of 2" travel (I'm guessing) before the tire hits the rim, or ridiculously stiff springs to stop it from moving at all.

You might be able to roll the fender edge up and slightly -flare- the box side to clear, but it's going to take work. (I did this with my last truck, a Nissan Hardbody with Toyota Tundra steelies - the sidewalls were getting cut by the fender edge).
Thank you for the reply, the pictures are confusing me with peoples answers as the truck sat too low and I plan on lifting it. These wheels will not be on the truck at its current height. do not think under any circumstance these wheels will work at the current height of the truck. I do not like how low it is and do not want any wheel or tire tuck.

I am hoping to gain an inch or two in the rear with the new (1950 lb) 3/4 ton springs. I have a very worn out and saggy leafs in the pictures provided that are rated for 1250 lbs. The truck is already very stiff with a super thick CPP sway bar front and back. Polyurethane bushings, caltracs, and then even soon to have the thicker 3/4 ton springs.

So the question is, how much of a drop from standard 1/2 ton GM square body can you do before this size backspacing becomes a problem. I think if this answer could be provided it would answer all my questions. Right now I'm at a crazy 5"/7" drop and I want to be at about 3.5"/4.5" from stock height.

Last edited by HunterRotten; 01-05-2017 at 12:36 PM.
HunterRotten is offline   Reply With Quote