View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #10
Desert1957

Re: Search for a 1949 is over Let the FUN begin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Sad thing is there's not much demand for used parts..seems as though everyone upgrades their suspension..craigslist is full of the old stuff around here..
I would give it a good washing just to get the dirt and grime of it but I've never tried to save patina...might google (saving patina) might turn up something...but there's a bunch on here that have done it as well..
Ok, so no CLR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
preserving patina paint ..on utube turned up a bunch of info
Good tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysocal View Post
I was able to sell my old suspension and rear end on Craigslist for just a little more than scrap. In fact it took the better part of a year to clear out the old stuff I didn't need. But in the meantime I was sourcing stuff I did need and enjoyed the hunt. I am a solid believer in running a patina over modern suspension and drivetrain. You will get a modern driver "sleeper" and won't loose the utility of a truck. No concern for door dings. You don't want to know what a quality paint job costs these days.....The amount of labor that goes into making these trucks straight is going to cost you either stacks of cash or all your spare time.
Thanks, This is the info I'm looking for.

Still debating the S10 swap after reading "the Sarge's" build thread. My thoughts about the S10 is, I can totally do the frame, suspension, engine and drive train while keeping the donor completely together in case of needing to move it around.
This was the appeal of having an AD truck for me, Not worrying about door dings,bad weather,etc. Plus I love the body style.