View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 01:26 PM   #933
rgunlock

Re: My 78 K15 High Sierra build - Fish Tremble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlee View Post
Nice work! It’s going to be sweet with the NV4500.

Are the shims needed because of the lift? Just curious because I don’t remember using any shims on mine. I guess another option would be to cut off the axle perches and weld new ones at the correct angle, but like Swamp Rat said anything you do will also change the caster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Keep in mind that changing the pinion angle also changes the caster, I'd consider having a front end alignment shop check it out.
I added 2 degree shims initially because after getting my truck on the road I had steering issues. This might have been because of the lift. The truck tended to want to go wherever the road surface took it. I had an alignment done (before the shims) and had 6.x degrees of caster and based on advice I got here on the forum I was trying to get it closer to 9 degrees. That seemed to help quite a bit, but there was still some room for improvement so while I had the axle off this time I installed 3 degree shims to get my caster closer to 10 degrees. This hasn't seemed to help, but as mentioned I changed other things that might have impacted my alignment.

Still haven't got it into an alignment shop because the underside and interior are torn down in the middle of the tranny swap It's just too dang hot in my shop to get that done by myself in a weekend.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote