View Single Post
Old 02-28-2019, 11:32 PM   #516
smbrouss70

Re: Ratchet's Blazer - 1970 2wd with Original paint

OK, I have hit an impasse and I need your opinion as to which way I should proceed.

My original intention was to pull the old cable style Vintage Air setup out of my other truck and use the firewall plates that I ordered and a bulkhead to get the lines out of the firewall, similar to the first picture and run the heater and A/C lines over the inner fender to hide them as much as possible, but you would still see the lines at the firewall. The problem that I found was that the A/C lines coming off of the unit ended right at the firewall (hence the ugly plastic plate that came with that kit) and I couldn't turn the lines inside of the firewall to be able to run over to the bulkhead on the side.

Friday, I ordered a new Vintage Air evaporator kit because it would allow me to easily run the lines to the bulkhead. Now that everything has come in, I found a couple of pictures from a truck for sale on eBay which has gotten my wheels turning. They used a modified factory heater box on the firewall and ran the A/C lines out of it. I remember that N2Billet did something a little more modified, but he said it was a pain in the @ss to do it.

Now I'm thinking that I could gut the factory heater box, and use it to hide the A/C lines of the old style unit. I could leave the blower motor but pull the squirrel cage so that the A/C lines could run to the side and still pass them over the inner fender, but have the heater lines come out of the stock location on the box. It would keep more of a stock heater truck appearance under the hood, but still give me the much needed A/C. The A/C lines would be hidden more with this option at the firewall. I could also send the new unit back to Summit and only lose the return shipping.

So which way would you go?
Attached Images

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote