View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #17
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: inline 6 carb. question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
This.

I had a manual choke 390 on my 250 with Clifford cam, headers, HEI, and Clifford intake. I had to mess with springs and jets quite a bit.
If I'm not mistaken, the Holley 4160 #8007, 390 CFM, is sold with electric choke. It has to be converted to manual choke. It was the recommended carb by Clifford when I first upgraded my 292 in 1978. [Now they recommend a 350 CFM 2-Bbl for whatever reason.] I ran the 390 Holley for about 25 years, but after an engine rebuild, it would not set up right, so I got an Edelbrock 1404 [500 CFM] since no 400 CFM AFB design was available.
Holleys are problematic, in my opinion. They had to be babied, and tweaked with every weather change [and Arizona has a wide climatic range]. The worst offender was the Power Valve which would blow out with any big backfire. Replacing it required a $10 throwaway part. Lots of tiny little parts that each needed careful initial adjustment.
I usually needed a Holley expert friend to pull off a tuneup. Bribery usually included beer and pizza, but sometimes involved cash. The Carter AFB design, I found, I could handle myself, being a lot simpler, and not susceptible to backfire blowout.
No carburator, regardless of catalog advertizing claims, is a simple bolt-on-and-drive-away device straight out of the box. But the AFB design is closer.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote