View Single Post
Old 04-05-2019, 11:12 AM   #56
EagleChief

Re: EagleChief's 1971 Build Thread

I decided to take the chance and drive the truck into work today!!

But first... I got the fuel hose done. Finally got rid of the secondary fuel pump in the engine bay and the multiple spliced pieces of fuel line. I ran one line from the frame up behind the components and over the top of the engine. Added a metal fuel filter at that point, then on to the carburetor. It literally had 6 different hoses that were all spliced/joined together to make the same run. Now, I have 2!!

The drive in to work is 24.7 miles (one way). 90% of that is highway @ 65mph. The truck ran great! I was a little hesitant at first to really get it up to speed, so on the city streets and the county section road, I didn't get over 50mph. But once I got on the highway and the truck was warmed up, I decided to try it out at 65mph and it was just fine. I've only had it up to that speed for just a few seconds, so a longer duration had me a little nervous - especially with the disappearing coolant issue.

The truck ran great the whole trip. I kept an eye on the temperature and the oil pressure, and everything held steady! My temp never rose above 190F. I just went out and check the radiator to look at the coolant level... IT'S STILL FULL!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, that being said, I am parked on a slight downhill slope in our parking lot. BUT, previous drives at shorter distances have shown considerable loss of coolant in the radiator. Right now, it's at the same level as when I left this morning. I'm stoked right now!! But, at lunch I'll get it out and drive it again and see what happens. Then on the drive home I'll have to keep an eye on things. I'll report back with findings later.

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=780197

LS Swap Thread: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=811460
EagleChief is offline   Reply With Quote