View Single Post
Old 04-27-2019, 08:19 AM   #164
44boggers

Re: American in Austria 83 Build

The last few weeks I started to tackle the wiring in the truck. I have about 90 percent of my painless harness wired as well as my dakota digital dash. I think I am putting the cart before the horse here a bit, but I havent had the time to work on the body , so I figured i would get a head start on the wiring. Anyway that is sorting itself out alright.

Moving to the rear of the truck, I took the axle back out of the truck and stripped off the shock mounts, spring perches and brake line holders, so I could get ready to sort out my pinion angle and weld on new spring perches instead of using a flip kit. I got my pinion right around 1* negative (i first got the pinion and trans/motor parallel to each other, but opposite degrees) and then pushed the pinion down around 1* to compensate for the axle rotating under acceleration. After the pinion was set I tacked in the perches.

Next thing is to move onto the shock mounts. This is where I am a little unsure of how I should mount them. I thought I read somewhere factory shocks were mounted around 30* to help with axle wrap. Then I read people use the shock extenders to create a better shock angle. So what degree of shock angle should i shoot for.

My shocks fully extended have around 8 1/4" of shaft showing. I was thinking of having them at right height with around 3" of shaft showing. With this amount of shaft showing and the shock around 30* it looks like I would have need to make my shock mounts around 3.5" longer than stock.
Is that close to what the shock extenders are?

Now one more thing to discuss which is a big concern of mine. I was measure the wheel base when I noticed the driver side is around 3/4" to 1" shorter the pass side. This was a bit of a surprise to me because when i drove the truck prior to taking it apart it drove straight and there were no issues. BUT the frame was cracked at the steering box and there were a **** load of shims on the driverside A arm. I dont ever remember the driver side wheel looking like it was not centered in the wheelwell.

I am not really sure how to proceed from here, but I am going to worry about it when its time to. Cause right now the truck is so far along and everything from the A arm back is straight, I am going to continue working on the rear end and and begin the body work on the bed. I mean the PO was able to make it drive perfect under its current circumstances. Maybe I can find a frame repair shop somewhere in austria or germany who can do some corrections without beating the crap out of my powder coating.

Thanks for any input.

Paul
Attached Images

Last edited by 44boggers; 04-27-2019 at 10:48 AM.
44boggers is offline   Reply With Quote