View Single Post
Old 08-05-2019, 11:14 AM   #26
txagincali

Re: The other guy 1967-72 c50 axle swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbee View Post
I’m back to thinking this will work on the front end as well.

If it’s 30 5/8 centers on the c50 with 3” wide springs, then using 2.5” springs brings them out to 31 5/8 centers with bushings, which is only 3/8 from the required 32” for a Dana 60.

Thoughts?
So jumping in on this thread as well, and some food for thought. C-"50" have 2.5" wide leaf springs. Whereas the Topkick/6500's mentioned are indeed 3" wide leafs. I have both and was wanting to swap my 88 Topkick axles over to the C50 to get juice disc brakes but the gearing wasn't the best (5.42) although much better than the 6/8 2 spd rear in it originally.

I got my C-50 chassis out of storage yesterday and have it in the yard to work on so I can get better measurements if need be, but one thing I did notice was that the front leaf spring taper from the rear frontward. So while it is 34" outside to outside in front of the axle (31.5" centers) it was narrower toward the bumper by nearly 3/4" and wider towards the rear. I'll get exact measurements tomorrow to follow up on since I don't have a cab or other body parts in the way.
Attached Images

1972 GMC K5 Blazer 4x4 (sporadically being worked on, accumulating parts)
txagincali is offline   Reply With Quote