View Single Post
Old 08-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #30
txagincali

Re: The other guy 1967-72 c50 axle swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
You might think about starting with a regular Suburban and maybe lifting and upgrading to 1 ton axles. I guess I'm not seeing the advantage of a C-50 frame with a Suburban body downgraded to a one ton. It's not like Suburban frames are really a weak point.
It is the grafting of a C50 medium duty front clip to the front of the Suburban body is the limiting factor. Doing that on a burb frame is rather difficult given the dimensions and shortening/fitment needed. There are quite a few start and stop threads out there on this very topic when they haven't completed the builds (mostly on trucks, but same premise for a burb).

I do get what you are saying, however my situation is rather unique. I have 1970 modified 4 door burb body on a clapped out frame (frame is useless). I have C50 chassis with 127" wheelbase (same as burb and long bed single cab) setup to run a Duramax and Allison combo. To get a C20 or Suburban chassis rigid enough to run a DMAX is a TON of work given that they will indeed bend or would need lots of boxing, not to mention clearance-ing to make fit.

Therefore running the ready made C50 chassis and downgrading the axles (since I won't be hauling gravel or produce) makes sense all around, especially given the price point I am starting at.

Sorry for the thread jacking Drewbee!
1972 GMC K5 Blazer 4x4 (sporadically being worked on, accumulating parts)
txagincali is offline   Reply With Quote