View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 09:29 AM   #3
Robert Crandall

Re: Rochester 1 Barrel Carb Question

Thank you for your advice. I did not check square. I used a metal scale to look at flatness. I did not find major non flatness. I went around both mating surfaces with emory cloth on a block. That sanded some at the four screw holes, but not a lot. The float adjustment measures correctly.

This carburetor was on a Chevrolet 235 of unknown year when I got it. The GMC engine that I bought did not have a carburetor, so I made this one fit. That was in 1978. This carburetor has been working fine and leaking a horrible mess since then. Multiple kits have been put in it over these years. One time it went to a carburetor shop (back when such shops still existed.) I was told then that these carburetors just do that.

The spare carburetor that I found has obviously not been leaking, so I thought I would ask here about making this one stop leaking. I put a kit in this spare, but I could not get the truck to attempt to start, so I put the kit in this existing one and put it back on.

I recently found the correct carburetor for this engine. Once I find a breather for it and feel like reworking the linkage, I will someday go that route.
Robert Crandall is offline   Reply With Quote