Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2020, 12:11 AM   #628
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Trans Leaks

So the 4L60E has had more leaks than I care to deal with... But the good news is most of them were my fault and pertained to dealing with the external coolers and fittings. In the end I resolved all those with a little dab of the paste thread sealant. Good to go there. But then I went to change the oil in the truck. Jacked up the front end pretty high. And while I'm under there I noticed quite a puddle forming behind me. Trans was leaking out of the U-Joint from what I could tell.

Well low a behold, it was all me again. Turns out there are more than one type of Trans Yoke. And therefore more than one setup inside the tail shaft of the trans.... The yoke I bought had the weep hole in the end and the trans tail shaft didn't have any seals on the shaft itself. Wasn't setup for that. So I bought a tail shaft rebuild kit just in case.

Here is the tail shaft. The two grooves are setup for different seals. O-rings. I started out thinking my o-ring should be on the first groove. Wrong. It needed to be on the groove the red arrow is pointing to. But I didn't like it. The yoke after setting the driveshaft back in the differential, ended up pulling the yoke away from the o-ring just a bit. Didn't seem like it was going to seal. So I ended up using the large metal housing for the 4x4 truck setups. At least that is what I read they were typically used on. Good thing the kit came with everything.

I was pleasantly surprised again that the shop I bought this from, seeming a little shady, had already took care of all these maintenance areas. The even replaced the race up by the tailshaft seal. You can see how clean everything was. This one is the speed sensor with the grease still on it.

Got all this from Amazon. Some of it was a kit, 2 pieces I purchased separate from the kit.

Here is the housing I was talking about. If you look inside the top you can see the o-ring that sits here, then the o-ring sitting to the side of it I went ahead and installed back on the shaft in the slot(red arrow) you see in above pic.

Got it this far, then had to use a socket to drive it the rest of way on.

Fully seated and ready to go.

After I finished this, I jacked the truck back up and no leaks. Whew...

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote