View Single Post
Old 05-04-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
68Gold/white

Re: Compatibility of front control arms/spindles

I am not sure where you are getting your info, or IF it is correct, not trying to sound like a Beavis, just to help!!!

I CAN tell you that (without doubt...) 67-70 steer linkage is ALL different from 71, 72 linkage, AND those are ALL different from 73-up steering linkage.

HOWEVER...The control arms are all the same from 67-72. Your 72 upper AND lower control arms will bolt up to your 70 cross member.

67-72 Pitman arms are same,(Power steering, remember manual takes a different pitman arm, 68-72 manual pitmam arms are same, not sure why 67 is NOT included. 73-up pitman arms are another part number

67-82 Idler arms are ALL same!!!

The thread sizes on the threaded end of the tie rod ends MAY be the same (My experience tells me, IT IS NOT), BUT also the tapers on the tie rod ends are not the same. The tapers are larger on the 73-up tie rod ends. 71 and 72 tapers are the same , BUT also different form 70 and earlier.

I do NOT know if the aftermarket makes "conversion" tie rod setups for the 71-72 spindles. The only way I know to use the 71-72 spindles is to use ALL 71-72 steering linkage...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote