Thread: Wife's 48
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 05:52 PM   #599
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Wife's 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8man View Post
Ok, I know some of you were thinking I had QUIT! Not so, I've been doing stuff that is really BORING and time consuming too. So here is what has been done.

This door was almost an inch low with the hinge taken all the way up. So there was a little bracket inside the A pillar that was cut off and moved up above the hinge, welded back in, and with that and a little oversizing the holes, it finally got the top gap right. BUT the latch was too low as it was in the stock position. So I had to drimmel out the four holes in the B pillar for the catch and then four holes in the door so I could move the Altman latch down and I got the1/4" I needed to get the door to close, latch and look correct and not rub on anything.

Then there was all the sanding, priming, bondo, sanding, priming, ad nauseum! Did I mention that when I was about 12 my dad had me do the sanding on the cars he painted to make a little side money. Until I left home that was my job! I HATE SANDING! Ok, enough venting on that subject.

Now the entire cab is primed. NO it is not a perfect prime job, but it is covered and ALL the body work is finished and it won't rust! Yes, there is MORE sanding in my future, but I have a few days of fitting the frame, so when I can get back into the shop, I'll test fit the body on the frame with the new 350 and the 700R4 and see if I need to do any tunnel work. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but if I were a betting man...
Great job Robert, you do quality work and those who have done it or tried know how difficult and hard it is, but the payoff will be great, keep grinding or [ahem] ... sanding I guess?!

P.S. I once replaced a perfectly adjusted wrong '72 door on my '71 cab (it was the wrong door as it was a change over year) with a proper '71 door that now won't shut, I drove the truck from my house to my mamas with a bungee cord holding it closed so that I can free up my garage for the '54. So question is: are your spectacular door fitment services mobile???
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote