View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 12:26 PM   #52
Ben IV

Re: 70 gmc DIY build

Frame was next. I know people typically cut the frame on these trucks under the cab but I didn't feel like lifting up the cab and trying to work under it. And taking the cab off was too much work. So I decided to make my cuts behind the cab and move the crossmember forward. Being a leaf truck made this easy but wouldn't be too bad on a coil truck either. You have to remove 8 rivets to get the crossmember out (12 on a coil truck) 2 of which have to come out anyway to remove the front bed mount. With this method you don't have to move the cab mounts forward requiring removing 8 rivets and drilling 8 holes. I chose to just weld the crossmember back in instead of bolting it, easier and stronger. Laying out your cut lines is simple. Just pick any spot make a mark then make another exactly 12" from your first mark. Then make the other side match. So long as you're taking exactly 12" from each side things will line right back up. Back of the frame is easy. Mark and drill the rear bed mount bolt hole up exactly 8" then cut 8" of off measured off the end of the frame. Next post I'll get into prep welding and fish plates.
Attached Images