View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 02:47 PM   #11
bigd65

Re: After market stereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
Whatever you do don't butcher the vehicle harness by cutting off the GM plug. There's Class II serial data in that radio plug for the warning chimes among other things you don't want to have just floating loose in the dash behind the radio.

I used a pigtail from Metra. They're one of may manufacturers of these. There are several manufacturers that make vehicle specific pigtails to plug right into the OEM radio plug.
They cost somewhere between $6 and $15 US.
The pigtails plug into the GM radio plug and they come with fairly decent instructions on the bag for connecting the adapter pigtail to the aftermarket radio pigtail.
I usually solder and heatshrink the connections between the Metra and (Sony, JVC, Kenwood, Alpine, Blaupunkt, Grundig, Etc) pigtails and heatshrink over the ends of the un-used wires to make sure they don't make electrical contact with anything.
Once have your adapter harness made up it just plugs into the GM cab harness radio plug and away you go.

I agree, I am not a fan of cutting any factory plugs. It had a KENWOOD in it, but the screen went out. It was probably going out long ago. The blue tooth music would take a long time to connect.

I already installed another stereo but without those other attachments. I just hooked the switched power together with the constant YELLOW Wire... but now I get the engine whining noise, so thats not going to work... I think I need to figure those other added connections. I'm guessing that where the SIGNAL WIRE hooks. I have an AXXESS and a PAC MODULE????

I figured there would be some professional stereo installers in here