View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 07:14 PM   #160
1976gmc20

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Man ,,you are self driven ,,,proud of ya and another 20 acres of it too.. ..I suppose I was too. any time I could get some easy pickens for wood ,,I'd work until I couldnt see anymore ..and right back at it again in the morn...self loading log truck Huh? I couldnt get a boom truck to put up rafters to this 60 ft pole barn I was building and this guy says he'd do it with his self loader,,,,,, ( you know one with tongs and nuckle that swings and twists all over the place ? ) we got er done ,,but talk about doing the hula dance up the ladder trying to catch that darn bunch of steel tryin to conk me in the head was a wake up call to dont do it again .. of course the operator had a lot to do with it ..
I'm not so driven anymore. I do a load in the morning while it's still cool and that's all. Nice enough weather but it's so smokey that we aren't riding the horses in the PM

My truck & loader wasn't so big: a C/50 and homemade loader. I did have hydraulic grapple but it didn't rotate. The boom had a heel for the butt of the log and that's how I kept it from swinging out of control. Just four valves like a backhoe: main, jib, swing, and grapple. I still can't run a backhoe because I always move the jib the wrong way.

I had to trade everything off when I got sick and went back to school. I heard the GMC and loader got burned up in a forest fire

I bought the other 20 acres mostly to keep anyone from building on it. Also it will make a nice campsite if family or friends visit in the summer. There's even about 200' of seasonal creek down at the bottom end
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote